Primary & Alternative Medical Center
Jean Welsh, MD
Covid-19 & Family Medicine Practice located in Silver Spring, MD
Drug or alcohol addiction can interfere in your life in countless ways, negatively impacting your family, your friends, your job and more. If you’re suffering from an addiction and live in the Silver Spring, Maryland area, Dr. Welsh and the team at Primary & Alternative Medical Center can help. Call or book an appointment online and let Dr. Welsh help release you from the grasp of addiction in a safe and supportive environment.
Drug & Alcohol Counseling
How can I tell if I have an addiction?
An addiction means your use of drugs or alcohol negatively affects your everyday functioning. The brain experiences a sense of reward when you consume an addictive substance. When your desire for that substance begins to take over your life, you have an addiction.
Common characteristics of people addicted to drugs or alcohol include:
- You turn to drugs or alcohol to avoid negative feelings such as sadness, loneliness or discomfort.
- You are preoccupied with when and how you can get ahold of more drugs or alcohol
- Your feelings of enjoyment get shorter after consumption, and you experience withdrawal symptoms
- You feel a lack of control over your thoughts and behaviors
- You are unable to stop using despite being aware of the negative consequences your substance abuse has on your personal life or those around you.
What causes addiction?
There is no single reason why people become addicted to something. This fact is true of drugs or alcohol as well as other pleasurable activities like sex or gambling. Some of the key factors that influence a person’s likelihood of becoming an addict include:
- Genetics -- addiction can run in families
- Environment -- constant exposure to unhealthy situations
- Past experiences -- past traumatic experiences
- Mental health -- depression and other conditions
Once you become addicted, changes occur in your brain that perpetuates your addiction. These changes make it almost impossible for you to stop using by free will alone.
What methods are available to treat my addiction?
Dr. Welsh primarily uses talk therapy as a means of getting to the heart of what is driving your addiction. By determining whether a medical condition, a traumatic event in childhood or recent years, or a family history drives your addiction, she can devise a treatment plan best suited to your needs.
If necessary, Dr. Welsh will prescribe medication to ease addiction and assist in treatment. This is especially useful in the case of opioid addiction.
In many cases, she will refer you to the best sources for emotional support. These sources may include a psychologist or psychiatrist, group therapy, or an addiction treatment center. Dr. Welsh personally vets all options before recommending them to her patients.
Don’t let drug or alcohol addiction take control of your life and damage your relationships with family, friends, employers, or others. Primary & Alternative Medical Center offers confidential and professional treatment for men and women in Silver Spring, Maryland.
Call or make an appointment online and take the first step towards overcoming your addiction.